This past week at our Wednesday lunch meeting the topic of Self-Directed IRA’s came up and that became the theme of our Facebook live presentation. If you hurry over to Facebook you might still get to view that conversation before it disappears. If, however you missed it, you can make up for it today. In a few minutes I have an expert coming on the show and you are definitely going to want to hear his thoughts about investing through your self-directed IRA.
Brian Eastman is a principal and Sr. Consultant at Safeguard Advisors, LLC based in Boulder, Colorado.
Brian has personally worked with thousands of independent investors over the years and has a deep understanding not only of the tax framework that governs self-directed retirement plans, but how to actually use such a plan successfully in a variety of real estate-related transaction types.
Brian has been investing in real estate personally and with his self-directed plan for 15 years, and has participated in sub-division development, flipping properties, rentals, lease options, and trust deed financing of various types of property.
Prior to joining Safeguard Advisors, Mr. Eastman spent nearly two decades in the development and implementation of complex software systems, with a focus on client education. His ability to present complex and wide-ranging topics in a clear and understandable fashion translates well to the educational approach that is critical to helping investors discover the potential of a self-directed retirement investing strategy.
A graduate of UC Berkeley, Mr. Eastman enjoys exploring the wonders of the Rocky Mountain backcountry with his family and cheering for his son’s hockey team.
How to contact us
Twitter and Instagram @FlippingAmerica
Call our National Comment Line: 404-369-1018, ext 1. Leave your message or your question.
Email your questions to email@example.com. Please always tell us where you are from. We like to know where the show is being heard. And let us know how you found out about us if you don’t mind.
- Lunch with me every Wednesday. Baraonda
- My latest article in Forbes is out. bit.ly/findredeals.
- The FAN is here!
- Would you like to invest in the Flipping America projects across the country? Coming soon you will be able to for as little as $100. That’s right, Flipping America is partnering with Ground Floor Funding to create a crowd-funded platform where you can invest in the deals we are doing here. The fund will pay out a 8% preferred rate of return and can go as high as 16%. You can make money with me, the Flipping America Guy.
- Flipping America App is in the app store. You can listen to the show, read the show notes, and the entire catalog of shows is now available to you. It’s a free download and there are no upsells or in-app purchases. Free to download, free to listen. Go ahead and give it a try and drop me a line and let me know what you think.
- Want a quick analytical tool to tell you how strong a potential fix and flip deal is? Download the Property Grade app. You answer 10 simple questions about the property and the app instantly tells you what you can expect to make, your return on investment, your return on cash, and then the program gives the project a letter grade using the proprietary Flipping America Investment Property Grade algorithm.
Guest: Brian Eastman
- In plain English, what are self-directed IRA and 401(k) plans and why do they matter to real estate investors?
- How can a real estate investor get more from their self-directed IRA?
- What tax issues should an investor be on the lookout for, which can occur inside their retirement plan?
- What are some examples of using a self-directed plan for real estate investing?
Describe for our listeners some of the benefits and complexities involved if they were to use debt-financing to invest with a self-directed plan.
- What benefits are associated with a checkbook control Self-Directed IRA or 401(k) plan?
- Self-directed IRA & 401(k) plans – an overview
- Getting more from your self-directed IRA
- Real estate investing with a self-directed plan (rentals, syndicates, development/flipping)
- The benefits and complexities of using debt-financing (i.e. mortgages) when investing with a self-directed plan
- Tax issues that can occur inside a retirement plan and how to understand and strategize around those issues
Millennials can’t afford real estate — destined to remain sad apartment dwellers
Artificial intelligence in residential real estate: Reality or hype? https://www.housingwire.com/articles/50044-artificial-intelligence-in-residential-real-estate-reality-or-hype
International investors take a small step back from US commercial real estate, as yield is less attractive
Weekly mortgage refinances fall further, despite lower interest rates https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/weekly-mortgage-refinances-fall-further-despite-lower-interest-rates.html
Redfin Publishes Agent Commissions with Its Listings
Your Questions: Send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hector, Sacramento, CA. “Have you ever flipped a farm? I’m looking at buying one to keep this guy out of foreclosure but I don’t want to keep it.
Article I found to help: http://www.businessvaluations.net/blog/valuing-a-farm-business
- Eva, Pittsburgh, PA, “My lender has options for my rental. I can do interest only at 4.8% (5 years then convert to amortized) or I can do a fully amortized loan at 4.75%.” We followed up: She is in her 30s and plans to hold them indefinitely. Purchase price is 180,000. Putting 40,000 down. Loan amt is 140,000.
My calculations: PI pymt is $730/month. Interest only is $560. $170/month difference. $10,200 over five years. Options are keep renewing interest only for maximum cash flow or refinance the amortized loan every 7-8 years to improve Return on Equity.
- Carmela, Port St. Lucie, FL “I’ve been wanting to write for a couple of weeks, but we have been a little busy here preparing for Dorian. It looked like we were going to get hit hard, but were spared thankfully. I was thinking about your show and wondered if you go in and buy storm damaged houses. And I’m not saying this about you, but I’m thinking about doing it and looking for an answer when people tell me I’m praying on the misfortune of others. Do you have a good answer to that?”
- Frieda, Jacksonville, FL “I saw how you helped my friend with her roof contractor situation. I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with contractors also and I’m wondering if there is a better way to protect myself in the future?”
Comment Line calls and Questions
Call 404-369-1018, press 1 and leave your message!
Motivational Thoughts for the day
- “Have intense and unfailing love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins.” – 1 Peter 4:8
Expected Air Date: Saturday 9/7/19
Guest: Brian Eastman