I was asked about three years ago if vacation rentals were a good idea and my answer was based on the numbers at the time. My answer was “only if you want a vacation home and want a little help defraying some of the expenses.” I did not believe it to be a money-maker. That all changed – probably within the next 18 months as short-term rental sites such as VRBO, HomeAway and AirBnB took over. AirBnB dominates this industry and provides an interesting alternative for travelers while at the same time represents significant earning potential for the owners and operators.
The growth of AirBnB and in fact this entire industry has been phenomenal and it seems that the company founders have handled this explosion with a good plan, solid management, and responsive leadership.
But it hasn’t been and isn’t going to be problem free. Some of the neighbors to these properties have begun expressing concern, filing complaints with governing bodies, and even worked to get an outright ban on the short-term rental industry. This poses some interesting legal questions in terms of private property rights and has set the stage for battles that may take years to resolve.
Short term owners are uniting to fight back. Joining me today are Pat Odell, Executive Director of STROAGA, the Short Term Rental Owners Association of Georgia and one of her Board members, Rich Munroe, who was on the show recently. This group was formed to be an advocacy group seeking balance, reason, and respect for property rights in defense of the short term rental industry. They will join us shortly.
I have some questions stacked up to answer and we are going to get to some of them today as well.
How to contact us
Twitter and Instagram @FlippingAmerica
Call our National Comment Line: 404-369-1018, ext 1. Leave your message or your question.
Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please always tell us where you are from. We like to know where the show is being heard. And let us know how you found out about us if you don’t mind.
Guest: Pat Odell and Rich Munroe
Lawsuit mentioned: May vs Morgan
Matt Dollar Cobb County GA
- Lunch with me every Wednesday. Baraonda
- My latest article in Forbes is out. bit.ly/findredeals.
- The FAN is here!
- Would you like to invest in the Flipping America projects across the country? Coming soon you will be able to for as little as $100. That’s right, Flipping America is partnering with Ground Floor Funding to create a crowd-funded platform where you can invest in the deals we are doing here. The fund will pay out a 8% preferred rate of return and can go as high as 16%. You can make money with me, the Flipping America Guy.
- Flipping America App is in the app store. You can listen to the show, read the show notes, and the entire catalog of shows is now available to you. It’s a free download and there are no upsells or in-app purchases. Free to download, free to listen. Go ahead and give it a try and drop me a line and let me know what you think.
- Want a quick analytical tool to tell you how strong a potential fix and flip deal is? Download the Property Grade app. You answer 10 simple questions about the property and the app instantly tells you what you can expect to make, your return on investment, your return on cash, and then the program gives the project a letter grade using the proprietary Flipping America Investment Property Grade algorithm.
Your Questions: Send emails to email@example.com
- Alana, Phoenix, AZ, “I have a property under contract and with three days to go until closing my seller notified me that they are cancelling the agreement and going with another offer. Can they do that?”
- Alison, Milwaukee, WI, “What do you look for in a Property Management company?”
- Character and reputation
- Not necessarily the lowest fees, but not more than 10% either.
- Do they have in-house repair crew? (that’s a no-go)
- Will they give me the option to make repairs with my crew? (ok then)
- What is their reporting procedure?
- How do they handle late payments?
- What happens when they evict?
- They handle the eviction.
- If in the first 12 months, do they offer a break or discount on placement fee of new tenant? (kind of important)
- We have sent you our free guide to hiring Property Management.
- Garrett, Boulder, CO, “I think my property is priced correctly but it’s not showing. What could I be doing to market it better?”
- Utembe, Minneapolis, MN, “Can you put me on your VIP buyers’ list for the inexpensive houses?” (I need you to go to bit.ly/inexpensivehomes and click the link there. That will put you on the list.)
- Serena, Jacksonville, FL, “I’m about to buy a property to put into AirBnB service. I am concerned about the future with all of the legal issues coming up. What would you do in this situation?”
- Rashidi, Marietta, OH, “I am looking at an older house to buy and got ahold of the survey. The house appears to be sitting about 8 feet in front of the setback line from the street. I look up and down the street and this house is no closer to the street than any of the others. How can the survey be correct? And if I buy this property will I have to tear it down or will I be allowed to expand it. I was going to take the roof off, put on a second floor.”
Comment Line calls and Questions
Call 404-369-1018, press 1 and leave your message!
Motivational Thoughts for the day
- “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino