Today I’m going to share Seven Rules for Real Estate Investing. Why seven? Why not 23 or 4? Recently I was on Nick Raithel’s show and he asked me to develop seven rules and only seven. I kinda like what I did so I thought I would repeat them here, although I do encourage you to find Nick’s show at Apple podcasts and give him a listen. These seven rules provide a framework not only for your real estate business but also for your life and career in real estate.
How to contact us
Twitter and Instagram @FlippingAmerica
Call our National Comment Line: 404-369-1018, ext 1. Leave your message or your question.
Email your questions to email@example.com. Please always tell us where you are from. We like to know where the show is being heard. And let us know how you found out about us if you don’t mind.
- Lunch with me every Wednesday. Baraonda
- My latest article in Forbes is out. bit.ly/findredeals.
- The FAN is here!
- Would you like to invest in the Flipping America projects across the country? Coming soon you will be able to for as little as $100. That’s right, Flipping America is partnering with Ground Floor Funding to create a crowd-funded platform where you can invest in the deals we are doing here. The fund will pay out a 8% preferred rate of return and can go as high as 16%. You can make money with me, the Flipping America Guy.
- Flipping America App is in the app store. You can listen to the show, read the show notes, and the entire catalog of shows is now available to you. It’s a free download and there are no upsells or in-app purchases. Free to download, free to listen. Go ahead and give it a try and drop me a line and let me know what you think.
- Want a quick analytical tool to tell you how strong a potential fix and flip deal is? Download the Property Grade app. You answer 10 simple questions about the property and the app instantly tells you what you can expect to make, your return on investment, your return on cash, and then the program gives the project a letter grade using the proprietary Flipping America Investment Property Grade algorithm.
- Home price gains slowed in June, but low mortgage rates may heat them up again https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/27/sp-case-shiller-june-2019.html
- The inverted yield curve is doing something weird to mortgage rates https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/22/the-inverted-yield-curve-is-doing-something-weird-to-mortgage-rates.html
- 7 Differences Between Real Estate Funds and REITs https://money.usnews.com/investing/real-estate-investments/slideshows/differences-between-real-estate-funds-and-reits
- 10 Fundamentals Beginning Real Estate Investors Should Know https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesrealestatecouncil/2019/08/28/10-fundamentals-beginning-real-estate-investors-should-know/#6217eb341d99
- Home Prices Notch 32-Month Growth Streakhttps://www.forbes.com/sites/alyyale/2019/08/27/home-prices-notch-32-month-growth-streak/#7cc954cc5b51
Topic: Seven Rules
- Buy for Less than you can sell it. Rent it out for less than your monthly payment. Know your numbers.
- Loan Constant
- Cash on cash return.
- Learn the terminology and their proper use. It’s ok for this to be an on-going venture. Don’t try to conquer this before you begin.
- Recruit a great Team
- Great Contractor – Vital piece
- Great Realtor – Vital piece – more plentiful than great contractors.
- Bird Dogs, Wholesalers, Marketing people
- Staff to your weaknesses
- Treat it like a business
- Understand how a business works.
- Focus on the bottom-line
- Business cards, logo design – all a form of procrastination
- Entity structure – important, but secondary.
- Do everything at first and stop as soon as you reasonably can. End up doing only those things that only you can do.
- You can scale systems, processes and products but you cannot scale YOU.
- Read the book E-Myth Mastery Brian Gerber.
- Picture your life in the future – 3, 5, 10 years. What is the life you dream about? Call it Vision, Goal, whatever. Terminology doesn’t matter
- Include where you live, how you spend your days, etc.
- Include your reputation – how many people know who you are and what do they think of you?
- Make a budget showing how much it costs to live your dream life.
- How much net return can you reasonably expect from your investments (real estate, stocks etc.)?
- How much will you have to invest in order for those investments to afford your lifestyle? You are financially free when your passive income pays for your lifestyle.
- Think about your legacy. It is pretty easy to make more than you really need in this business. Choose generosity as a lifestyle habit.
- Leave your children enough to do something but not enough to do nothing.
- Find a cause bigger than yourself – perhaps more than one. Giving makes you a better person and actually adds to your life wealth.
Motivational Thoughts for the day
- “Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.”
– Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Expected Air Date: Sep 11, 2019